An Introduction to NYSEARCH: Please click the play button above to start video.
The NYSEARCH Committee is a voluntary sub-organization within the Northeast Gas Association. In 1996, it revolutionized its existing program to an all-voluntary program. As a result, the benefits of being a NYSEARCH member are:
- Ability to address specific company needs while working with others in the gas industry with those same needs on a project-by-project basis
- Direct control and input on project activities, specifications and approach agreed to in solving a problem
- High financial leverage for the R & D dollar through collaboration with other gas companies in NYSEARCH’s membership and outside co-funders such as DOT/PHMSA, manufacturers and others
- Practical products that are useable by gas operators because the gas operators were highly involved in their definition, development, and/or pre-commercial testing
- Focus on innovative products that improve gas safety, reduce costs, and improve worker health, productivity and the environment
- Ability to seek and find the best technology providers on a project-by-project basis with reputable high quality technical project management and program administration
- Improved Installation, Maintenance & Repair
- Gas Quality
- Pipeline Integrity/Direct & Remote Assessment
- Evaluation of New Materials
- Pipe Location & Damage Prevention
- Advanced Polyethylene Piping and Joining
- Leak Detection, Real-time Sensing & Inspection for Distribution
- Environment/Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Since the early 2000s, NYSEARCH has served gas companies throughout North America. The name ‘NYSEARCH’ was originally conceived through a committee that started in New York State; where pioneering gas companies formed the RD & D committee of the New York Gas Group. Just before the New York Gas Group was merged with the Northeast Gas Association (NYSEARCH’s parent company), NYSEARCH expanded its borders to the N. American region and some of its first non-NY members were large companies from California and other regions outside of the Northeast.
NYSEARCH members represent primarily gas distribution companies from around North America. There are also members who are either straight transmissions companies or who operate transmission as well as distribution pipelines. In fact, a significant program within the NYSEARCH portfolio, focuses on developing innovative technologies for transmission pipelines owned by Local Distribution Companies (LDCs).