The NYSEARCH Committee is a voluntary sub-organization within the Northeast Gas Association. In 1996, it revolutionized its existing program to an all-voluntary program. As a result, the benefits NYSEARCH members receive are infinite such as:
- Decision-making regarding funding on a project-by-project basis is directed by each member and/or associate member.
- Only those companies who are funding a project have input into management and day-to-day activities of the project.
- Innovation is welcome from the outside sources given its applicability to the funder's real-world problems and most importantly,
- RD&D Risk minimization and Financial leverage.
Major areas where NYSEARCH goals are set and where progress is monitored include:
- Business Development
- Pipeline Integrity
- Leak Detection
- Pipe Location
- Monitoring for Third Party Damage
- Real-time Sensing and Inspection for Distribution Pipe
- Polyethylene Pipe Repair
- Testing and New Materials and,
- Enhance Maintenance of Cast Iron Systems
NYSEARCH members and associate members are not only limited to the Northeast region but also include natural gas utilities outside of New York State. With this growth in membership, NYSEARCH successfully continues to diversify its project base hence bringing new and exciting innovations and ventures to the Natural Gas Industry.